Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Love Re-Runs

After a long day at work, there's noting more comforting than sitting in a familiar setting and indulging in a form of entertainment that is proven to provide levity and relaxation.
This is the purpose of syndicated television. Why would anyone watch the same show over and over again?
In a time when our lives are becoming more hectic and every second needs to be spent in a productive manner, it is less likely that any of us can take the risk of wasting 30 minutes of our lives in the hopes of releasing one or two chuckles.
We want to sit in our favorite chair with the confidence that over the next thirty minutes to an hour, we will be thoroughly entertained and completely amused.
That is why I love re-runs. I can see the first sixty seconds of a show and know whether or not I will spend the next half hour laughing, crying, enthralled, intrigued or channel surfing.
I will watch the same show 3 or 4 times a week, if I know I enjoyed it the first time. I've already invested the time to find out if I liked it and I don't have any more time to spend risking a new program will provide the same entertainment level.
There are times to invest in experimental viewing. When there are political programs preempting the regular schedule, sporting events with teams outside our geographical interest, or when the cable goes out (break out the rabbit ears and the digital converter).
But, in the end, we all want security. That is what syndicated television provides. I want to know what I'm going to see before I see it. I want to know that my time has been well spent. Most importantly, I want to be able to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment